wchrc logo

Weatherization Services:

Do you find yourself asking these questions?

  • Why is my house always too warm or too cold?
  • Where are the drafts coming from?
  • Why are my utility bills so high?

Many of these problems can be due to heat leaking into and out of your home through drafts and not enough insulation.  The best way to deal with the problem is with Weatherization!

air leaks

Saving Energy Saves Money!

Weatherization Services provides energy conservation improvements which will create a "home envelope", by closing off any air leaks in your home. These improvements will help lower your utility bill and make your home more energy efficient.

When you qualify for services, we will send out a certified energy auditor to perform a free energy inspection (audit).  The auditor will use different tests to determine the major sources of energy loss and identify potential cost-effective improvements that can be made.

Potential Improvements Include:

  • Attic insulation and venting
  • Crawl space insulation and venting
  • Sidewall insulation
  • Weather stripping/caulking
  • Insulate the heat ducts
  • Wrap pipes
  • Furnace repair
  • Other draft reduction measures

Click Here to Apply

Who is Eligible for Weatherization?

Income Eligibility:  Annual Income includes the gross income of all members of the family. All support, benefit payments, and interest income must be included. The income limits for 2013 are (maximum gross amount):

Household Size: 1 Person 2 People 3 4 5
Annual Income: $22,340 $30,260 $38,180 $46,100 $54,020
Monthly Income: $1,862 $2,522 $3,182 $3,842 $4,502

Other Eligibility Requirements:

  • Single-family, mobile homes, or multi-family housing units can be weatherized if the occupants meet the income requirements.

  • Both owner occupied and rental units are eligible.

  • In a multi-family building, at least 51% of the occupants must meet the income requirements.

  • The property owner or an agent (rental properties) must sign the application and authorize the audit.


The energy auditor will develop a worklist that reflects the cost effective weatherization measures for your review.  If you want to continue with the proposed work, you will need sign an agreement with Community Action Center.  There are two types of agreements: owner occupied homes and  rental property owners.

Owner Occupied Agreement:

Weatherization measures will be installed with no cost to the homeowner.  However, if you sell your home within 3 years, you will need to repay the cost on a pro-rated basis.  Click here to see an example of how the pro-rate is calculated.

Renter Occupied Agreement:

The property owner or agent will pay a portion of the cost of the energy conservation improvements installed.  If the property is sold within 3 years, you will need to repay the cost on a pro-rated basis unless the new owner agrees to accept full responsibility and obligation of the agreement.  In addition:

  •  For 1 year tenant rent cannot increase following the completion of the weatherization work,
  • After 1 year, rent can only increase for the following reasons:
    • Recover an increase in operation and maintenance
    • Recover costs related to an increase in property taxes,
    • Recover actual costs of improvements that directly benefits the tenant(s), other than the weatherization improvements
  • Failure to pay rent, damaging the property, or violating any provision of their lease are the only reasons for eviction of the tenant for 3 years.

For more information:

Call:  Ginger at 509-334-9147

Email: gingerh@cacwhitman.com
Toll Free in Washington:  1-800-482-3991
Fax:  509-334-9105
TTY: 1-800-833-6388

You will need the latest version of Adobe Reader in order to read or print the application.

Click Here to Apply

Submit your completed application to:

 Weatherization Services

Community Action Center

350 SE Fairmont Road #1

Pullman, WA 99163


You can also call CAC or stop by the office to get an application